SCTEM GIVES BACK TO THE COMMUNITIES
Each year, the Society for Collegiate Travel & Expense Management Executive Board chooses an organization within its host community (where that year’s conference is held) for a charitable contribution in honor of its speakers. SCTEM “gives back” to each host community in lieu of providing gifts to the conference speakers.
The 2016 SCTEM Conference was held in San Diego, California on September 25th-28th. This year, SCTEM gave back to The Monarch School. Monarch has served San Diego for nearly three decades, beginning as a one-room education center and expanding into a K-12 comprehensive school designed to educate homeless youth. There are more than 1.2 homeless students across the country and 22,000 in San Diego County. Research shows homelessness contribute to a wide range of challenges including physical and psychological problems, safety fears, and academic struggles. Monarch School is dedicated to helping homeless students break the cycle of poverty through education. Their program addresses four key areas that are critical to students’ success: social growth, emotional support, academic growth, and life skills. Please consider donating here.
Previous SCTEM Conference Charities:
- 2015 SCTEM Conference: OUR MILITARY KIDS in Leesburg, Virginia. Our Military Kids is a nonprofit organization created to provide support and recognition to military children. The grants to children pay for fees associated with athletic, fine arts, and tutoring programs. Our Military Kids’ grants keep military children engaged in activities of their choosing, helping to relieve the stress of separation from a parent by providing a positive distraction, minimizing emotional destabilization, building self-esteem, and enabling academic achievement.
- 2014 SCTEM Conference: GROWING HOME in Westminster, Colorado. Growing Home provides food, shelter, education, and support services to families in need. They are a building block of their community by serving over 5,000 families through the assistance of 1,400 volunteers and charitable contributions. Giving back to our host community is very important to our organization.
- 2013 SCTEM Conference: YOUNG EAGLES PROGRAM/ALBERT WHITTED AIRPORT in St. Petersburg, FL. The Young Eagles program is a nationwide program developed as a means to introduce young people to the experience of flight. The Young Eagles program at Albert Whitted Airport is sponsored by the Albert Whitted Airport Preservation Society. Our donation not only supported the Young Eagles program but also the development of an historic mini aviation museum in the airport building.
- 2012 SCTEM Conference: COMMUNITIES IN SCHOOLS in Lake Las Vegas, Nevada. Communities in Schools was selected as our organization to which monetary donations were made. Communities in Schools is the nation’s leading dropout prevention organization. In Nevada, Communities in Schools reports that 94 students drop out of school every school day and fewer than 62% of Nevada’s high school students graduate. For minorities, it is fewer than one in three. Donations to Communities in Schools helps to provide resources that help students to graduate on time, prepare for college, career, and life.
- 2011 SCTEM Conference: RHODE ISLAND COMMUNITY FOOD BANK in Providence, Rhode Island. The RI Community Food Bank provides five programs that provide aid and assistance to the hungry.
- 2010 SCTEM Conference: RECONCILE® NEW ORLEANS in New Orleans. Reconcile New Orleans is an organization dedicated to teaching life skills and provide job training to young people in severely at-risk communities.
We invite you to join us in giving back to these worthwhile organizations to assist their missions. On behalf of the SCTEM Advisory Board, we thank you for your support.